In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Friday, October 9, 2015

Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder



Sweet potato corn chowder has become one of my favorite fall soups!  I had never even had it until my mother-in-law made it in my home while she was visiting us for a week to help with my postpartum recovery after I had our twins, and I must say it was comforting and delicious! 

For me personally, I try to avoid regular potatoes and other starches that can spike blood sugar, but sweet potatoes are another story.  There are so many health benefits from sweet potatoes, as long as you aren't drowning them in butter and brown sugar!

Recently, I sent her a text asking for her recipe.  She's a nurse and was working at the time,  and she couldn't remember her recipe.  She quickly found something online that she said looked very similar to hers and sent me the link, so I could make it for supper.  She sent me this link from Daring Gourmet.  I don't know my mother-in-laws exact recipe, but I do know that this recipe looks and tastes a lot like hers, which made me a very happy girl. 

The pictures in this post are from a few weeks ago, but just looking at these pictures is making me want to add this to next week's menu.  I hope you enjoy it as much as our family does.  Even my toddlers love the sweet potatoes and corn from this dish.



INGREDIENTS:
4 slices of bacon, diced
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 cups diced sweet potatoes
1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 15 oz. can of corn, drained
3 1/2 c. chicken broth
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. dried marjoram
1 c. heavy cream 
2 green onions chopped
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
Fry bacon in pot then transfer to a plate, leaving bacon grease in pot. Saute onion over medium-high heat until tender.  Add bell pepper and cook till softened.  Add sweet potatoes and cook for another five minutes.  Add flour until dissolved.  Add broth, corn thyme and marjoram.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  Add cream, green onions and bacon and cook till warm.  Add salt and pepper to taste .

NOTES:
*  I use coconut flour instead of all-purpose flour, and it turns out fine.
*  I also use half and half instead of heavy cream to cut back on calories. 

*  Instead of marjoram, I used dried oregano, as marjoram is not something I keep on-hand. but is supposed to be similar to oregano.
*  If you want a more creamy texture, you put part or all of the mixture in the blender, then mix it back in with the remaining pot of soup.



No comments:

Post a Comment