In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Crock-pot Rotisserie Chicken



I love a good rotisserie chicken.  I often find myself buying one from Target on a regular basis, as it makes for a quick and easy meal on grocery days.  Plus I really like having leftover chicken around the next day to make wraps for lunch. When I saw that you could make a rotisserie chicken in the crock pot, using aluminium foil balls, I decided to give it a try.  

I really wanted to love this recipe....but truthfully, I just found it to be mediocre and probably wouldn't make it again anytime soon. Yes, the foil worked, and the end result was a rotisserie chicken, but the flavor and juiciness that I was expecting, just wasn't there for me.

I only buy whole chickens when they are on sale and love using them for things like roasted herb chicken.  But truthfully, the all-natural rotisserie chickens that I buy from Target for $6-7 are about the same price as a whole chicken on sale and taste better than what I made in the crock pot without any of the work.  I am speaking only about the all natural savory rotisserie chickens from the Target deli.  I personally find Walmart's and Kroger's chickens to be much more greasy than Targets.  

In the end, if given the choice to use a whole chicken I find on sale to make this dish, or buy an already cooked all natural savory rotisserie chicken from Target, I will probably opt for the Target chicken, but that's just me.

Anyway, this recipe did work, and if you want to give it a try, here are the basic steps.

STEP ONE: Make aluminum foil balls and place them in the bottom of the crock pot.

STEP TWO: Mix together seasonings of choice to make a dry rub.  I use 1 tbs. paprika, 2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 2 tsp. garlic powder. 1 tsp. thyme.  If you like heat, you can add cayenne pepper. 



STEP THREE: Remove all insides of the chicken and rinse well. Coat chicken with 2-4 tbs. melted butter.  Rub dry mixture all over the chicken and place chicken in the crock pot.



 STEP FOUR: Cover with a lid and cook on high heat for 4 to 4.5 hours or until chicken has reached 165 degrees. Let rest about 20 minutes before cutting.



No comments:

Post a Comment