In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Monday, August 10, 2015

Summer Vegi and Sausage Foil Packs


School might be starting, but summer isn't over yet!  One of my favorite things about summer is grilling.  This dish is a favorite of mine this time of year.  


Here is why I love this dish.  For one, it taste yummy.  But secondly, I can do all of the prep work hours before grilling, or even the day before grilling.  So if I'm making this for dinner on a week night, I can do all the prep work while my toddlers are napping, and then when it is time for dinner, the foil packets go on the grill.  If this is what I have planned for a Sunday supper, I prep everything on a Saturday night, and then as soon as we get home from church, the foil packets are ready for the grill.



As far as prep work goes, it is pretty easy.  I boil the potatoes, which I think is key.  Having the potatoes boiled before they go on the grill means that the other vegis won't burn while waiting for the potatoes to get done on the grill.  I rough chop everything else and divide it onto four pieces of foil.  Then I wrap up the foil packets, put them on a baking sheet and stick them in the fridge until it's time to grill.  I typically serve this with cornbread or corn muffins.



INGREDIENTS:
1 head of cabbage, cut into four wedges
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
8-12 red potatoes, boiled and chopped
16 oz cooked smoked sausage, chopped 
4-8 tbs, butter
salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS:
Once potatoes are boiled and vegis are chopped, divide all ingredients evenly into four foil packets.  Salt and pepper everything for good flavor.  Put a few tabs of butter (1-2 tbs) in each packet as well.  You can go heavy or light on the butter, but I tend to go heavy because of the potatoes.  If avoiding butter, you could use olive oil.  Wrap of foil packets and place packets on the grill until cabbage is tender (about 20 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment