In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Monday, June 8, 2015

Very Berry Avocado Smoothie




After sharing the recipe I use for Greek yogurt strawberry smoothies on the blog this morning, I decided to share one of my boys' favorite smoothies.

In our home, very berry avocado smoothies derived from when I was making baby food.  My boys loved the pureed mix I used to make them with frozen berries, avocado and banana.  
One day, I decided to added some milk and Greek yogurt to create smoothies for the boys, and they were an instant hit.  

This recipe is completely adjustable.  The avocado is optional.  I throw it for a healthy fat for my boys, plus it adds a smooth texture. The milk can be of any variety.  I skip the whole milk, since I drink these with my boys.  Coconut milk would be good, but I almost always have almond milk in my fridge.  The stevia is also optional.  I like it for additional sweetness, but you could go heavier on the banana to add more sweetness.  I only use half of a banana to keep the calories down. Basically, this is a pretty flexible recipe.

This smoothie is packed with protein, antioxidants and healthy fats.  For fewer calories the recipe could be adjusted, or you could do what I do and share one serving with your twin toddlers!



INGREDIENTS:

1 c. frozen mixed berries (75 calories, 1 gram of protein)
1/2 of a banana (50 calories, 1 gram of protein)
1/2 of an avocado (115 calories, 1.5 grams of protein)
1/2 c. nonfat plain Greek yogurt (65 calories, 6 grams of protein)
1/2 -1 c. unsweetened almond milk, depending on desired thickness (30 calories, .5 gram of protein)
1/2-1 tsp stevia, depending on taste
the juice of 1/2 of a lime

335 Total Calories and 10 grams of protein

DIRECTIONS:
Mix the ingredients in a blender until smooth

NOTES:
** Frozen berries work best for this drink.  You can always freeze fresh berries yourself or buy frozen ones from the frozen section at the grocery store.
** Greek yogurt could be substituted for regular yogurt.  Regular yogurt will make the smoothie thinner.  I prefer Greek yogurt, because of the additional protein in Greek yogurt.
** This recipe makes one serving for me, and two small servings for my twin toddlers.  I double the recipe when making this for my husband, myself and our twin toddlers.


1 comment:

  1. Your recipe is wonderful dear; I also want to buy some nutritional supplement for getting good strength. Do you know Green drink and supplements for boosting my stamina? Please recommend.

    ReplyDelete