In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Green Detox Drink


A few years ago, we invested in a Nutribullet for juicing.  One of my favorite drinks in the Nutribullet recipe book is the green drink for detoxing.  

I've never tried making this drink in anything but a Nutribullet, so I don't know how it would turn out in a blender.  In the Nutribullet, it turns out to be a perfectly frothy glass of green goodness!

Ingredients: 
1 banana
1 peeled and sliced apple
1 peeled and sliced pear
1 c. pineapple chunks
2 c. fresh spinach (or a couple handfuls), sometimes I will switch out the spinach for kale
1/4 c. water

Directions:
Blend in Nutribullet until smooth

My twin toddlers love this drink!  However, when I made it before they turned one, I would set aside some for them, before adding the spinach for myself.  I read somewhere that babies weren't supposed to have spinach until they were one. 

While I love the drink, my research shows that the calories and sugars are a bit high in a 16 oz serving, which about how much this recipe makes.

310 calories
3 grams of fat
3 grams of protein
37 grams of sugar
73 carbohydrates

For this reason, when I make this drink, I either share it with my husband, or I share it with my twin toddlers.  For me, 37 grams of sugar, even if it is from fruit, is a lot and is also a reason I don't drink this everyday. 

It's also something I don't like to drink on an empty stomach.  I often make this drink to go along with breakfast proteins, like eggs and bacon or breakfast sandwiches, and it always a substitute for fresh fruit that would be served with a meal, if I wasn't making the green drink.

Speaking of fresh, be sure to drink this drink right away to get the most nutrients out of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment