In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. ~ Proverbs 3:6

Friday, October 28, 2011

Pumkin Carving and It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown



          Matt and I carved our pumpkins from the pumpkin patch last night.  We're not very artistic.  It always looks like five year olds carved our pumpkins, but I think that's what makes it so fun!  There’s something about carving pumpkins that makes me feel like a kid again.  I’m not exactly sure why it makes feel that way, since I don’t actually remember carving pumpkins when I was little.  I’m pretty sure that we never experienced pumpkin carving, because my mom was a clean freak and that kind of project would have been way too messy for her.  Not carving pumpkins as a child must have left some sort of subconscious void in my life, because I have felt the need to carve pumpkins every year since I’ve been adult….both a single adult and a married adult. 
            As an adult, I’ve sort of started this tradition where I make grilled cheese and tomato soup, carve pumpkins and then watch It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown while eating freshly popped kettle corn.  I think it’s a fabulous tradition, and that’s why I was so bummed out when Matt and I had our first Halloween together and I discovered his hatred for pumpkins!  Can you believe it?  The guy hates all things pumpkin: pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin roll, pumpkin coffee and especially pumpkin carving!  I’m a girl who loves all things fall, but I especially love ALL things pumpkin in the fall!  It was such a sad thing when I discovered that my husband couldn’t share with me my love for pumpkins.   And do you want to know the reason for this pumpkin hatred of his….wait for it….they’re too messy!  Yep, apparently, I married my mother!
            Even though my husband hates pumpkins, he loves me.J  He’s learned that I have a weird sentimental thing with festive traditions….including pumpkin carving.  After he unknowingly hurt my feeling the first year we were married by refusing to partake in my pumpkin carving and taking a nap while I carved both of our pumpkin, he now reluctantly carves them with me as long as I take out all of the pumpkin goop, clean up the mess for him and reward him with grilled cheese, tomato soup and kettle corn.   One thing is for sure.  No matter how much my husband dislikes pumpkin carving,  I’ll always enjoy our little tradition, and he’ll always enjoy watching me enjoy it. J







No comments:

Post a Comment